TV-2013-06-20 #105 – June 20th, 2013

Corporate clients, contracts and requirements.

Listener Sponsor –

SysAdminMan  – Offering virtual telephone systems (VOIP) since February 2009:

• Ideal for small businesses looking for a telephone system in the cloud
  • Features include voicemail, call queuing, call recording and conference calls
  • Simple web GUI configuration
  • For more info, a demo system, guides and setup videos visit sysadminman.net

Show Links –

7 Comments
Posted in Podcast

7 Responses to “TV-2013-06-20 #105”

1. Rob says:

You are talking about insurance for you business, and I can understand that if you are doing IT work for a large client, I am considering starting a PC repair business out of my home, should I get insurance and if so how much, coverage do I think I would need, or should I wait until I build up a client base first.

2. Mike says:

Wait until a client asks if you have Business Insurance. Concentrate on getting clients and building your business right now.

3. Barry says:

As I recall, that voicemail was played previously. But, I agree with the advice about getting a job with the public. You need experience dealing with the aggression and hassle the public throws at you in a retail environment.

The community feel is what makes the podcast.

I have used a ticketing system from Assembla (only as a client, though).

4. Rich says:

I’ve always considered business insurance really important, in particular when working for business customers.

Here in the UK, Public Liability Insurance (also seems to be called Commercial General liability Insurance in the US), only costs about £60 (90 USD) for £1 million (1.54 million USD) of cover. This covers against damaging customer’s property, or even something like a customer tripping over a toolbox and breaking a leg.

I think Professional Indemnity Insurance (also seems to be called Professional Liability Insurance in the US) is also important, even for doing work for relatively small companies. It covers against things like accidentally wiping a customer’s hard drive, perhaps potentially ruining a customer’s business. My policy also covers legal costs and provides peace of mind in a litigious world.

5. Chris says:

Private health insurance is not needed in the UK, we have healthcare paid for through national insurance (tax).

6. Quint says:

You mentioned in this episode the new client had a system that “pre-dated DOS” I am interested in old systems, what kind of system was in use that pre-dates DOS. Hardware, software etc. Thanks

7. Chad says:

Quint, possibly “pre-dates DOS” system he saw was one of IBM’s mid-range systems. I believe they first came out in the 60’s. We still write software for these systems and is a main part of our business. Look up IBM System/36, System/38, AS/400, iSeries. They have evolved over the years. Microsoft actually ran it’s business on an AS/400 back years ago.

or chancel